Tuesday is when you officially realize the weekend is over, but also realize the upcoming weekend is still a few days away. Tuesday is also known as the day albums are normally released to the masses. Not for TDE: Kendrick’s #Section.80 was released on a Saturday, as was ScHoolboy Q’s brand new Habits & Contradictions. Hey, I’m not complaining as long as the project sounds as dope as Grooveline Pt. 1. With production from Lex Luger you’d normally expect something high energy that makes the bouncers at a club a little nervous. Instead, on Grooveline Lex hits us with something more pacifying and minimalistic, a soulful beat that features a supremely relaxed Roberta Flack sample. Q, with some assistance from Curren$y and fellow left-coast emcee Dom Kennedy, laces the mellow track with rhymes that will ensure hazy smoke fills the room whenever Grooveline is played. And consider yourself officially advised to finish off your weekend by listening to Habits & Contradictions; it’s the perfect way to gear up for the bodyslam that Monday usually provides.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/16/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Do" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.