Tuesday is when you officially realize the weekend is over, but also realize the upcoming weekend is still a few days away. Tuesday is also known as the day albums are normally released to the masses. Not for TDE: Kendrick’s #Section.80 was released on a Saturday, as was ScHoolboy Q’s brand new Habits & Contradictions. Hey, I’m not complaining as long as the project sounds as dope as Grooveline Pt. 1. With production from Lex Luger you’d normally expect something high energy that makes the bouncers at a club a little nervous. Instead, on Grooveline Lex hits us with something more pacifying and minimalistic, a soulful beat that features a supremely relaxed Roberta Flack sample. Q, with some assistance from Curren$y and fellow left-coast emcee Dom Kennedy, laces the mellow track with rhymes that will ensure hazy smoke fills the room whenever Grooveline is played. And consider yourself officially advised to finish off your weekend by listening to Habits & Contradictions; it’s the perfect way to gear up for the bodyslam that Monday usually provides.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/16/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Do" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.