Remember Black Hippy, the crew of Top Dawg labelmates who endured a surprisingly dope bout of Constipation last week. Along with Booth regulars Ab-Soul, Jay Rock and Kendrick Lamar, the group featured one member who had yet to be properly introduced to readers. Here to rectify that situation is the man himself, ScHoolboy Q. Despite what the stage name may suggest, it’s the South Central native who takes the teacher’s desk on this unreleased cut, schooling his rivals on what they can and Can’t Do. With Willie B.‘s Latin-guitar arpeggios and string stabs as his backdrop, Q drops bars packed from bottom to top with braggadocio and withering taunts, showcasing his gruff flow as he assures his peers that they’ll never measure up to him and his crew. Black Hippy partner-in-rhyme Jay Rock jumps aboard to deliver a booming final 16, blasting the competition with the help of a few culinary metaphors. Like what you’re hearing? Though details on Schoolboy Q’s next project have yet to be announced, fans who will be in Austin for SXSW can catch him at the Booth’s own The Rising showcase, going down March 18.
Written by richard on 03/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)