Remember Black Hippy, the crew of Top Dawg labelmates who endured a surprisingly dope bout of Constipation last week. Along with Booth regulars Ab-Soul, Jay Rock and Kendrick Lamar, the group featured one member who had yet to be properly introduced to readers. Here to rectify that situation is the man himself, ScHoolboy Q. Despite what the stage name may suggest, it’s the South Central native who takes the teacher’s desk on this unreleased cut, schooling his rivals on what they can and Can’t Do. With Willie B.‘s Latin-guitar arpeggios and string stabs as his backdrop, Q drops bars packed from bottom to top with braggadocio and withering taunts, showcasing his gruff flow as he assures his peers that they’ll never measure up to him and his crew. Black Hippy partner-in-rhyme Jay Rock jumps aboard to deliver a booming final 16, blasting the competition with the help of a few culinary metaphors. Like what you’re hearing? Though details on Schoolboy Q’s next project have yet to be announced, fans who will be in Austin for SXSW can catch him at the Booth’s own The Rising showcase, going down March 18.
Written by richard on 03/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.