My memory might be failing me (after 22 years of long life), but I don’t think that I have had the pleasure of listening to hip-hop coming from the great state of Oregon. Whether I’ve had that geographic pleasure yet or not, from now on I’ll certainly remember Sapient, a unique producer/emcee from Portland gracing the Booth for the first time with his new single, Universal Diorama. As you might have already guessed by his unusual name, Sapient is not your average human being, or artist, on Diorama. The beat provides evidence of his boundless creativity as he laces his bars with synths, organs and sparse drums occasionally reminiscent of some ATlien’s craft work. Speaking of bars, the man’s vocal adaptability (“I can change in a blink, I am.. universal”), which alternates from slow rhymes to soft singing, should ultimately be exactly the reason this Beaver State representative is here to stay. If you found yourself intrigued by this Universal Diorama, be sure to check out Sapient’s oddly titled new album, Barrels for Feathers, available now (it dropped on August 31).
Written by Sigurd on 10/5/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)