My memory might be failing me (after 22 years of long life), but I don’t think that I have had the pleasure of listening to hip-hop coming from the great state of Oregon. Whether I’ve had that geographic pleasure yet or not, from now on I’ll certainly remember Sapient, a unique producer/emcee from Portland gracing the Booth for the first time with his new single, Universal Diorama. As you might have already guessed by his unusual name, Sapient is not your average human being, or artist, on Diorama. The beat provides evidence of his boundless creativity as he laces his bars with synths, organs and sparse drums occasionally reminiscent of some ATlien’s craft work. Speaking of bars, the man’s vocal adaptability (“I can change in a blink, I am.. universal”), which alternates from slow rhymes to soft singing, should ultimately be exactly the reason this Beaver State representative is here to stay. If you found yourself intrigued by this Universal Diorama, be sure to check out Sapient’s oddly titled new album, Barrels for Feathers, available now (it dropped on August 31).
Written by Sigurd on 10/5/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.