My memory might be failing me (after 22 years of long life), but I don’t think that I have had the pleasure of listening to hip-hop coming from the great state of Oregon. Whether I’ve had that geographic pleasure yet or not, from now on I’ll certainly remember Sapient, a unique producer/emcee from Portland gracing the Booth for the first time with his new single, Universal Diorama. As you might have already guessed by his unusual name, Sapient is not your average human being, or artist, on Diorama. The beat provides evidence of his boundless creativity as he laces his bars with synths, organs and sparse drums occasionally reminiscent of some ATlien’s craft work. Speaking of bars, the man’s vocal adaptability (“I can change in a blink, I am.. universal”), which alternates from slow rhymes to soft singing, should ultimately be exactly the reason this Beaver State representative is here to stay. If you found yourself intrigued by this Universal Diorama, be sure to check out Sapient’s oddly titled new album, Barrels for Feathers, available now (it dropped on August 31).
Written by Sigurd on 10/5/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.