In today’s musical climate, artists are sometimes forced to wear multiple hats when it comes to their careers. Upstate New York emcee Sammus is all too familiar, as she wears about 80 of those very hats. Okay, 80 might be a small exaggeration, but the DJBooth newcomer is a rapper, producer, visual artist, avid gamer, and an Ivy League graduate. Quite a mouthful, huh? Despite her many titles, Sammus finds time to let loose a little on her DJBooth debut BYP, an acronym for “black, young, pretty.” On the record, the Ithaca native shares the details of an unexpected night of partying, which isn’t limited to sharing a bottle of Jameson with friends and hitting up the liquor store before morphing back into a scholar by morning. Sammus, who’s known for her chopped samples and game-inspired synths, handles the laidback production herself. BYP is featured on the upstart lyricist’s M’other Brain project, which was released in June and can be purchased on Bandcamp.
Written by Danielle H. on 09/14/12
Submit your Rating
NuBlack Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.