In today’s musical climate, artists are sometimes forced to wear multiple hats when it comes to their careers. Upstate New York emcee Sammus is all too familiar, as she wears about 80 of those very hats. Okay, 80 might be a small exaggeration, but the DJBooth newcomer is a rapper, producer, visual artist, avid gamer, and an Ivy League graduate. Quite a mouthful, huh? Despite her many titles, Sammus finds time to let loose a little on her DJBooth debut BYP, an acronym for “black, young, pretty.” On the record, the Ithaca native shares the details of an unexpected night of partying, which isn’t limited to sharing a bottle of Jameson with friends and hitting up the liquor store before morphing back into a scholar by morning. Sammus, who’s known for her chopped samples and game-inspired synths, handles the laidback production herself. BYP is featured on the upstart lyricist’s M’other Brain project, which was released in June and can be purchased on Bandcamp.
Written by Danielle H. on 09/14/12
Submit your Rating
NuBlack Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.