In today’s musical climate, artists are sometimes forced to wear multiple hats when it comes to their careers. Upstate New York emcee Sammus is all too familiar, as she wears about 80 of those very hats. Okay, 80 might be a small exaggeration, but the DJBooth newcomer is a rapper, producer, visual artist, avid gamer, and an Ivy League graduate. Quite a mouthful, huh? Despite her many titles, Sammus finds time to let loose a little on her DJBooth debut BYP, an acronym for “black, young, pretty.” On the record, the Ithaca native shares the details of an unexpected night of partying, which isn’t limited to sharing a bottle of Jameson with friends and hitting up the liquor store before morphing back into a scholar by morning. Sammus, who’s known for her chopped samples and game-inspired synths, handles the laidback production herself. BYP is featured on the upstart lyricist’s M’other Brain project, which was released in June and can be purchased on Bandcamp.
Written by Danielle H. on 09/14/12
Submit your Rating
NuBlack Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)