A title like “Stay With Me” practically screams, “duet,” so perhaps it was fate that London crooner Sam Smith has hooked up with a female R&B singer to re-record his UK #1 debut single. Of course, his collaborator on this rendition isn’t just any songstress; it’s the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul herself. Drawn to Smith because of his vocal presence, which she’s compared to that of Luther Vandross, Mary J. Blige offers a powerful, full-throated contrast to the headliner’s softer, more vulnerable delivery. An unknown director’s visuals showcase the collaborators’ onstage chemistry. For Stay With Me and much more, check out Sam’s The Lonely Hour LP when it hits U.S. stores on Tuesday, June 17.
Written by richard on 06/3/14
Over the course of 2013 and early 2014, UK crooner Sam Smith has been building anticipation for the release of his major-label debut album with stunning singles like "Lay Me Down" and "Money on My Mind." Now, the project's...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lay Me Down" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.