Saigon is upset. I mean, I’m as concerned with the future of hip hop as the next guy, but I think Saigon is losing sleep over this stuff. I know we got a bubble-gum rap epidemic on our hands but damn ‘Gon. Still, somebody’s gotta call ‘em out. On new street single You Make Me Sick, the always-outspoken emcee expresses his disgust with the current state of the game. Producer Frank Dukes (I think intentionally) gives Sick a classic hip-hop feel with a minimalist piano/drum loop and staccato brass stabs, while lyrically the angry New Yorker straight vents about why today’s rap makes him nauseous with lines like, “We ain’t thirsty enough to drink from a pimp cup”. (I had to laugh at that one.) Saigon’s AK-47 flow definitely adds to the fury of this track, but I was honestly hoping for a more aggressive chorus to really scare the posers out there. Overall, I respect the effort, and I think the Booth will as well. We’ll see how Saigon plans to remedy the game with his upcoming project, The Greatest Story Never Told, finally dropping February 15.
Suburban Noize Records/RED
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.