When you’ve been the victim of as much industry B.S. as Saigon, you have two choices: get really damn good at making lemons into lemonade, or simply give up. Fortunately for fans of quality hip-hop, the Brooklyn mainstay chose to keep his chin up – as he puts it on his latest single, “Y’all aint gonna Bring Me Down.” Over his and DJ Corbett‘s blend of crunchy guitar and live percussion, the artist informs fans that, though he often feels like it’s him against the world, he won’t let any amount of hate or red tape slow him down – in fact, anyone who gets in his way will soon find himself peppered with more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese: “I dare somebody jump out the window to try to stop me / I wait for n*ggas then shoot ‘em like I was a paparazzi…” Saigon’s determination to succeed is unquestionable, but is this single’s alt-rock informed sound a good look for the lyrical bruiser? And will it stir up enough buzz to ensure that Sai’s long-awaited debut studio album, The Greatest Story Never Told, actually makes onto store shelves on February 15, 2011? Feel free to speculate – or simply keep your fingers crossed.
Written by richard on 11/3/10
Submit your Rating
Squid Ink Squad
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.