No matter how hard you try to keep it positive, there are always those days (or weeks, or months…) when everything’s a drag and it feels like your life’s on the slow train to nowhere; few, however, can spin their blues into musical gold like Saheed, the young emcee who brought us As Far as I Can See and Da Wilderness, does on his latest feature. Newly-leaked mixtape cut How Can I Explain finds the Miami up-and-comer pondering the difficulty of putting his pain into words. Over The Psyclones’ tense, soul-sampled instrumental, the artist answers his own question, painting a propulsively-flowed lyrical portrait of his conflicted state: “Tryin’ to put problems behind me ‘cause patience I don’t have more/ Seems the weight of the world is on my shoulders like a Jansport.” It’s a feeling that most of us should be able to relate to – here’s hoping that expressing it in rhyme provided the catharsis Saheed needed. HCIE and much more can be found on the artist’s Pray for the Best, Prepare for the Worst mixtape when it drops this March.
Written by richard on 01/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Da Wilderness" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.