No matter how hard you try to keep it positive, there are always those days (or weeks, or months…) when everything’s a drag and it feels like your life’s on the slow train to nowhere; few, however, can spin their blues into musical gold like Saheed, the young emcee who brought us As Far as I Can See and Da Wilderness, does on his latest feature. Newly-leaked mixtape cut How Can I Explain finds the Miami up-and-comer pondering the difficulty of putting his pain into words. Over The Psyclones’ tense, soul-sampled instrumental, the artist answers his own question, painting a propulsively-flowed lyrical portrait of his conflicted state: “Tryin’ to put problems behind me ‘cause patience I don’t have more/ Seems the weight of the world is on my shoulders like a Jansport.” It’s a feeling that most of us should be able to relate to – here’s hoping that expressing it in rhyme provided the catharsis Saheed needed. HCIE and much more can be found on the artist’s Pray for the Best, Prepare for the Worst mixtape when it drops this March.
Written by richard on 01/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Da Wilderness" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.