While today notably marks the first time Sage Francis has appeared on DJBooth’s vaunted pages, fans of heavily bearded, possibly insane, poetically inclined rappers from Providence have been up on the man for years. (Frankly, there aren’t a lot of other options.) Those same fans also know that Sage has never hesitated to experiment, and his new single Slow Man may be one of his most sonically adventurous yet, thanks in large part to the country-meets-hip-hop audio template that producer Brian Deck lays down. On the mic Sage does more quasi-singing than he does rapping, but his lyrics are as heavily shrouded yet fearlessly autobiographical as ever. I know a lot of folks will either love this track or hate it, but as one of those long time fans I can promise you one thing; Sage doesn’t give a f**k. He’s going to keep making the music he wants to regardless. I honestly have no idea what his new album Li(f)e will sound like when it drops on May 1, but I do know I’ll be listening. How about you?
Written by Nathan S. on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
Strange Famous Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bad Things (Redux)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.