If I were to write up a list entitled “Things I Don’t Understand About Women,” well, that would be one long list—somewhere near the top, though, would be the question, “Why do they like Journey so much?” I don’t have anything against the band, it’s just that even girls who never sing will, without fail, break into a catastrophically awful Steve Perry impression when one of their hits comes on the radio. I used to think my female friends were just strange, but even Sabrina, the rising soul starlet who premiered her debut single, They Don’t Know What I’ve Been Through, at this very site, seems to share this trait—only difference is, she can actually sing. Making its exclusive world premiere right here in the Booth, this gender-flipped cover of the group’s ‘82 smash Separate Ways has been selected as the singer’s latest promo single. Forgoing the original’s driving rock feel for a mellow, Latin-flavored guitar groove, Ca$his/Shady Records beatsmith C Major leaves Sabrina plenty of room to show off her jazzy vocal stylings; the result is a summery revamp so catchy that all those off-key passenger-seat renditions are beginning to fade from my memory—and for that, Sabrina, I can’t thank you enough.
Written by richard on 05/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Election Day ft. Sabrina" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.