If I were to write up a list entitled “Things I Don’t Understand About Women,” well, that would be one long list—somewhere near the top, though, would be the question, “Why do they like Journey so much?” I don’t have anything against the band, it’s just that even girls who never sing will, without fail, break into a catastrophically awful Steve Perry impression when one of their hits comes on the radio. I used to think my female friends were just strange, but even Sabrina, the rising soul starlet who premiered her debut single, They Don’t Know What I’ve Been Through, at this very site, seems to share this trait—only difference is, she can actually sing. Making its exclusive world premiere right here in the Booth, this gender-flipped cover of the group’s ‘82 smash Separate Ways has been selected as the singer’s latest promo single. Forgoing the original’s driving rock feel for a mellow, Latin-flavored guitar groove, Ca$his/Shady Records beatsmith C Major leaves Sabrina plenty of room to show off her jazzy vocal stylings; the result is a summery revamp so catchy that all those off-key passenger-seat renditions are beginning to fade from my memory—and for that, Sabrina, I can’t thank you enough.
Listen to More: Sabrina
Written by richard on 05/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Election Day ft. Sabrina" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)