Plenty of rappers are nice on the mic, but precious few achieve True Mastery of their craft. Booth newcomer SA-ROC believes she’s one of that rare breed and, whether or not you agree with her self-assessment, her unshakeable faith in her skills makes her latest single a riveting listen. Premiering right here on our front page, this cut finds the D.C. representative asserting her dominance via an endless array of colorful metaphors—from the medical (“I’m type ill like I’m typhoid, no vaccine.”) to the judicial (“I break rules like white boys in courtrooms”). Sol Messiah crafts an appropriately gritty beat to accompany her rhymes, slicing and dicing samples over a leisurely boom-bap rhythm. On the back, SA-ROC declares, “I’m sorta the rapper half the game been waitin’ on.” If you’re part of that half, you won’t want to miss the rest of the fresh material in store on her Nebuchadnezzar LP, coming soon via AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music.
Update: We have added the Tommy Nova-directed visuals for SA-ROC’s True Mastery.
Written by richard on 01/21/14
Submit your Rating
AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Code of Hammurabi" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.