Plenty of rappers are nice on the mic, but precious few achieve True Mastery of their craft. Booth newcomer SA-ROC believes she’s one of that rare breed and, whether or not you agree with her self-assessment, her unshakeable faith in her skills makes her latest single a riveting listen. Premiering right here on our front page, this cut finds the D.C. representative asserting her dominance via an endless array of colorful metaphors—from the medical (“I’m type ill like I’m typhoid, no vaccine.”) to the judicial (“I break rules like white boys in courtrooms”). Sol Messiah crafts an appropriately gritty beat to accompany her rhymes, slicing and dicing samples over a leisurely boom-bap rhythm. On the back, SA-ROC declares, “I’m sorta the rapper half the game been waitin’ on.” If you’re part of that half, you won’t want to miss the rest of the fresh material in store on her Nebuchadnezzar LP, coming soon via AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music.
Update: We have added the Tommy Nova-directed visuals for SA-ROC’s True Mastery.
Written by richard on 01/21/14
AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Code of Hammurabi" (2014)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.