If the title of this cut conjured up images of the English ‘60s rockers of the same name, take a moment to purge those thoughts from your mental, because that ain’t what SA-ROC‘s latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere) is all about. Rather, The Who? is a harrowing, yet ultimately uplifting look at black history, as filtered through the lens of the Pan-African movement. Guest David Banner is first to rock the mic; in his opening 16, the emcee and producer tells the story of Patrice Lumumba, the Congolese freedom fighter who helped his country win independence from Belgium in 1960 and became the first democratically-elected Prime Minister, before being executed by Belgian-backed secessionists in 1961. The headliner offers a broader perspective on the back, showcasing her formidable mic skills as she expresses her hopes for her people’s future. Sol Messiah‘s backs their bars with a jazzy bassline and a break sampled from Bob James’s Take Me to the Mardi Gras. Feeling it? This is just one of many potent cuts to be found on SA-ROC’s Nebuchadnezzar LP. Keep it locked for the latest on the project, which currently lacks a drop date.
Update: We have added the Tommy Nova-directed visuals for SA-ROC’s The Who? single.
Written by richard on 05/29/14
Submit your Rating
AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"True Mastery" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.