If the title of this cut conjured up images of the English ‘60s rockers of the same name, take a moment to purge those thoughts from your mental, because that ain’t what SA-ROC‘s latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere) is all about. Rather, The Who? is a harrowing, yet ultimately uplifting look at black history, as filtered through the lens of the Pan-African movement. Guest David Banner is first to rock the mic; in his opening 16, the emcee and producer tells the story of Patrice Lumumba, the Congolese freedom fighter who helped his country win independence from Belgium in 1960 and became the first democratically-elected Prime Minister, before being executed by Belgian-backed secessionists in 1961. The headliner offers a broader perspective on the back, showcasing her formidable mic skills as she expresses her hopes for her people’s future. Sol Messiah‘s backs their bars with a jazzy bassline and a break sampled from Bob James’s Take Me to the Mardi Gras. Feeling it? This is just one of many potent cuts to be found on SA-ROC’s Nebuchadnezzar LP. Keep it locked for the latest on the project, which currently lacks a drop date.
Update: We have added the Tommy Nova-directed visuals for SA-ROC’s The Who? single.
Written by richard on 05/29/14
Submit your Rating
AVX Records/Sol Messiah Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"True Mastery" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.