Jazz aficionados in the Booth are likely familiar with Sun Ra, a legendary piano/keyboard player famous both for his musical talent and his eccentric personal mythology (he claimed in all seriousness that he was from Saturn, for starters). Sa-Ra, the Los Angeles-based trio who brought us Feel the Bass back in August of ‘08, took their collective name from the jazz innovator, and this newly-leaked cut comes liberally seasoned with a similar brand of out-of-this-world weirdness. On B*tch Baby, Taz Arnold, Shafiq Husayn and Om’Mas Keith forgo their Booth debut’s glossy, synth-heavy sound in favor of a more organic feel, blending bossa nova guitar, jazz organ, and a whole high school band’s worth of ramshackle percussion into a densely-layered midtempo stew of a beat—then, they fill in the cracks with backing vocals, stacking “oohs” and “da-da-das” as far as the eye can see. The husky-voiced verses are a little hard to decipher at times, but listeners willing to sit back and soak in the unconventional groove are sure to find this cut a rewarding listen. For more of Sa-Ra’s left-of-center sounds, grab a copy of Nuclear Evolution: The Age of Love when it hits stores June 23rd.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Feel the Bass ft. Talib Kweli" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.