Jazz aficionados in the Booth are likely familiar with Sun Ra, a legendary piano/keyboard player famous both for his musical talent and his eccentric personal mythology (he claimed in all seriousness that he was from Saturn, for starters). Sa-Ra, the Los Angeles-based trio who brought us Feel the Bass back in August of ‘08, took their collective name from the jazz innovator, and this newly-leaked cut comes liberally seasoned with a similar brand of out-of-this-world weirdness. On B*tch Baby, Taz Arnold, Shafiq Husayn and Om’Mas Keith forgo their Booth debut’s glossy, synth-heavy sound in favor of a more organic feel, blending bossa nova guitar, jazz organ, and a whole high school band’s worth of ramshackle percussion into a densely-layered midtempo stew of a beat—then, they fill in the cracks with backing vocals, stacking “oohs” and “da-da-das” as far as the eye can see. The husky-voiced verses are a little hard to decipher at times, but listeners willing to sit back and soak in the unconventional groove are sure to find this cut a rewarding listen. For more of Sa-Ra’s left-of-center sounds, grab a copy of Nuclear Evolution: The Age of Love when it hits stores June 23rd.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Feel the Bass ft. Talib Kweli" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.