Jazz aficionados in the Booth are likely familiar with Sun Ra, a legendary piano/keyboard player famous both for his musical talent and his eccentric personal mythology (he claimed in all seriousness that he was from Saturn, for starters). Sa-Ra, the Los Angeles-based trio who brought us Feel the Bass back in August of ‘08, took their collective name from the jazz innovator, and this newly-leaked cut comes liberally seasoned with a similar brand of out-of-this-world weirdness. On B*tch Baby, Taz Arnold, Shafiq Husayn and Om’Mas Keith forgo their Booth debut’s glossy, synth-heavy sound in favor of a more organic feel, blending bossa nova guitar, jazz organ, and a whole high school band’s worth of ramshackle percussion into a densely-layered midtempo stew of a beat—then, they fill in the cracks with backing vocals, stacking “oohs” and “da-da-das” as far as the eye can see. The husky-voiced verses are a little hard to decipher at times, but listeners willing to sit back and soak in the unconventional groove are sure to find this cut a rewarding listen. For more of Sa-Ra’s left-of-center sounds, grab a copy of Nuclear Evolution: The Age of Love when it hits stores June 23rd.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Feel the Bass ft. Talib Kweli" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.