When Something That I Like, the first leak off Ryan Leslie‘s forthcoming sophomore LP, hit our front page, both I and DJ Z commented that the cut sounded like official single material. Two weeks later, the album’s received an official title, Transition, and the official lead single’s been selected—the obvious question is, how does it stack up? Pretty evenly, to my ears. Besides the lack of Pusha T, the main difference is that You Ain’t My Girl takes advantage of a certain lyrical theme du jour... you guessed it: this cut finds R-Lez jumping on the Boyfriend #2 bandwagon, informing an ostensibly-taken shorty know that, as far as anyone else is concerned, they’re just very good friends. Of course, lyrical infidelity alone does not a hit record make, and, as fans might expect, YNMG shines brightest on the production tip. Layering his trademark woozy synths over a bassline reminiscent of Chic’s disco classic, Good Times (which was sampled on Rappers Delight, as well as inspiring Queen’s Another One Bites the Dust), Leslie delivers a funky beat sure to get bodies moving wherever the record’s spun. Drenched in hit potential, YNMG is sure to stir up early interest in R.L.‘s Transition LP, set to drop this fall.
Written by richard on 07/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Move Girl" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.