My immediate reaction to the title and guest feature of Ryan Leslie‘s new buzz record: “Huh. I guess Addiction wasn’t just a catchy song concept.” Surprisingly, the ‘something’ in Something That I Like refers not to Pusha T‘s infamously potent nose candy, but to the equally intoxicating charms of a certain female (okay, I was probably the only person surprised by that). Over his own ear-pleasing blend of chopped synth-strings and harpsichord, the NextSelection head honcho pays sung and rapped tribute to a chick so perfect he has to pinch himself to make sure he’s not dreaming. The Clipse‘s Pusha T jumps on board to echo the emcee/singer/songwriter’s sentiments on the back end, and his more laconic brand of braggadocio proves a perfect counterpoint to Leslie’s starstruck bars. As the first glimpse of Leslie’s yet-untitled sophomore album (due out this fall), STIL bodes very well—to my ears, it’s easily official-single material. Does R-Lez have something even more appealing up his sleeve? I certainly hope so, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Move Girl" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.