My immediate reaction to the title and guest feature of Ryan Leslie‘s new buzz record: “Huh. I guess Addiction wasn’t just a catchy song concept.” Surprisingly, the ‘something’ in Something That I Like refers not to Pusha T‘s infamously potent nose candy, but to the equally intoxicating charms of a certain female (okay, I was probably the only person surprised by that). Over his own ear-pleasing blend of chopped synth-strings and harpsichord, the NextSelection head honcho pays sung and rapped tribute to a chick so perfect he has to pinch himself to make sure he’s not dreaming. The Clipse‘s Pusha T jumps on board to echo the emcee/singer/songwriter’s sentiments on the back end, and his more laconic brand of braggadocio proves a perfect counterpoint to Leslie’s starstruck bars. As the first glimpse of Leslie’s yet-untitled sophomore album (due out this fall), STIL bodes very well—to my ears, it’s easily official-single material. Does R-Lez have something even more appealing up his sleeve? I certainly hope so, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Move Girl" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)