My immediate reaction to the title and guest feature of Ryan Leslie‘s new buzz record: “Huh. I guess Addiction wasn’t just a catchy song concept.” Surprisingly, the ‘something’ in Something That I Like refers not to Pusha T‘s infamously potent nose candy, but to the equally intoxicating charms of a certain female (okay, I was probably the only person surprised by that). Over his own ear-pleasing blend of chopped synth-strings and harpsichord, the NextSelection head honcho pays sung and rapped tribute to a chick so perfect he has to pinch himself to make sure he’s not dreaming. The Clipse‘s Pusha T jumps on board to echo the emcee/singer/songwriter’s sentiments on the back end, and his more laconic brand of braggadocio proves a perfect counterpoint to Leslie’s starstruck bars. As the first glimpse of Leslie’s yet-untitled sophomore album (due out this fall), STIL bodes very well—to my ears, it’s easily official-single material. Does R-Lez have something even more appealing up his sleeve? I certainly hope so, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Move Girl" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.