Last month’s We Should All Burn Together, the final single (to date) off Russ‘s DJBooth-featured Pink Elephants tape, was an acoustic guitar-driven ballad with a tranquil, breezy feel. The lead single off his next full-length, Murder Me, is a much pricklier affair. The artist’s own production, which samples the eerie harpsichord intro to Beatles classic Because, sets the stage for defiant, often morbid lyrical reflections from the DIEMON signee. Already trippy and hallucinatory in tone, his bars take a turn for the spiritual on the back: “I’ve met God a lot but I’ve never met Jesus / I even met the devil and kicked it with him on some G sh*t.” The hook borrows a line from 2Pac‘s seminal ‘97 jam, Cause I Had To. Labelmate Bugus‘s official visuals round out the package. Brain Dead is scheduled for independent release on Tuesday, March 23. In the meantime, of course, fans can keep it locked to The DJBooth for the latest singles.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.