Last month’s We Should All Burn Together, the final single (to date) off Russ‘s DJBooth-featured Pink Elephants tape, was an acoustic guitar-driven ballad with a tranquil, breezy feel. The lead single off his next full-length, Murder Me, is a much pricklier affair. The artist’s own production, which samples the eerie harpsichord intro to Beatles classic Because, sets the stage for defiant, often morbid lyrical reflections from the DIEMON signee. Already trippy and hallucinatory in tone, his bars take a turn for the spiritual on the back: “I’ve met God a lot but I’ve never met Jesus / I even met the devil and kicked it with him on some G sh*t.” The hook borrows a line from 2Pac‘s seminal ‘97 jam, Cause I Had To. Labelmate Bugus‘s official visuals round out the package. Brain Dead is scheduled for independent release on Tuesday, March 23. In the meantime, of course, fans can keep it locked to The DJBooth for the latest singles.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.