Last Friday, we heard DIEMON Records emcee/producer Russ bid a treacherous woman adieu on Goodbye, a reader-approved cut off his forthcoming mixtape. Fast-forward three days, and his anger has faded into sorrow and regret. On the newly-released Devil in Her Heart, the artist offers a more melancholy, less vituperative perspective on his last relationship, flowing over his own stark, sample-laced boardwork (capped off with a snippet from The Beatles’ cut of the same name). Be that as it may, there’s still a strong undercurrent of venom in his bars; on the front, he snarls, “I guess I’m wounded, but f*ck that sh*t ‘cause you lost out / I’m winnin’, f*ck you doin’?” For more musical reflections on life, rap and relationships, check out Russ’s Pink Elephant LP, dropping Wednesday (1/23) via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 01/20/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.