Popular music hasn’t exactly been kind to the ninja. Whereas practitioners of kung-fu have the Wu-Tang Clan in their corner, feudal Japan’s covert operatives have had to settle for Vanilla Ice’s Ninja Rap and Katy Perry‘s Ninjas in Paris. Rugz D. Bewler, however, has made it his mission to change that, releasing a 2011 mixtape cut titled Fly Lil Ninja and, today, stepping into the Booth with the world premiere of promo single Real Nin[G]a Sh*t. Backed by the hazy sample work of Ill Brown, this record may have more to do with grinding, smoking and stacking paper than sneaking around and chucking shurikens, but the Harlem repper showcases the agility and composure of a true shinobi on the mic, lacing the beat with intricately phrased snapshots of days on the grind and nights spent kicking it with beautiful women “Cut more models than plastic surgeons with their syringes / twisted so many sisters off purple syrup elixirs.” Does this mellow yet enterprising jam leave you craving more? Stay tuned—while Nin[G]a Sh*t isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from Rugz D. Bewler in the near future.
Written by richard on 04/30/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.