Popular music hasn’t exactly been kind to the ninja. Whereas practitioners of kung-fu have the Wu-Tang Clan in their corner, feudal Japan’s covert operatives have had to settle for Vanilla Ice’s Ninja Rap and Katy Perry‘s Ninjas in Paris. Rugz D. Bewler, however, has made it his mission to change that, releasing a 2011 mixtape cut titled Fly Lil Ninja and, today, stepping into the Booth with the world premiere of promo single Real Nin[G]a Sh*t. Backed by the hazy sample work of Ill Brown, this record may have more to do with grinding, smoking and stacking paper than sneaking around and chucking shurikens, but the Harlem repper showcases the agility and composure of a true shinobi on the mic, lacing the beat with intricately phrased snapshots of days on the grind and nights spent kicking it with beautiful women “Cut more models than plastic surgeons with their syringes / twisted so many sisters off purple syrup elixirs.” Does this mellow yet enterprising jam leave you craving more? Stay tuned—while Nin[G]a Sh*t isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from Rugz D. Bewler in the near future.
Written by richard on 04/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.