Popular music hasn’t exactly been kind to the ninja. Whereas practitioners of kung-fu have the Wu-Tang Clan in their corner, feudal Japan’s covert operatives have had to settle for Vanilla Ice’s Ninja Rap and Katy Perry‘s Ninjas in Paris. Rugz D. Bewler, however, has made it his mission to change that, releasing a 2011 mixtape cut titled Fly Lil Ninja and, today, stepping into the Booth with the world premiere of promo single Real Nin[G]a Sh*t. Backed by the hazy sample work of Ill Brown, this record may have more to do with grinding, smoking and stacking paper than sneaking around and chucking shurikens, but the Harlem repper showcases the agility and composure of a true shinobi on the mic, lacing the beat with intricately phrased snapshots of days on the grind and nights spent kicking it with beautiful women “Cut more models than plastic surgeons with their syringes / twisted so many sisters off purple syrup elixirs.” Does this mellow yet enterprising jam leave you craving more? Stay tuned—while Nin[G]a Sh*t isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from Rugz D. Bewler in the near future.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Boi ft. A$AP Rocky. Phantogram & A-Ha - Lanes
- BAU Music ft. Action Bronson, A$ton Matthews & J.Rocc - With My Soul
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!