Halfway through Yeezus opener On Sight, Kanye, Daft Punk and Mike Dean‘s abrasive electronic beat abruptly gives way to a brief interpolation of Sermon (He’ll Give Us What We Really Need), as performed by the Holy Name of Mary Choral Family. Rugz D. Bewler was feeling those four bars so much that he’s turned them into a full record. Mixtape single On Point could hardly have been more appropriately titled; the Harlemite’s laid-back, boastful rhymes are the perfect fit for the leisurely gospel loop, which has been seasoned with snippets from classic Kanye interviews. After a listen to this ingenious jam, I have just one question: when do we get to hear Rugz rhyme over the New Slaves outro? Hey, I can dream. On Point is part of Bewler’s forthcoming, DJBooth-hosted Bene LP, set to drop October 23 for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 10/4/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.