Halfway through Yeezus opener On Sight, Kanye, Daft Punk and Mike Dean‘s abrasive electronic beat abruptly gives way to a brief interpolation of Sermon (He’ll Give Us What We Really Need), as performed by the Holy Name of Mary Choral Family. Rugz D. Bewler was feeling those four bars so much that he’s turned them into a full record. Mixtape single On Point could hardly have been more appropriately titled; the Harlemite’s laid-back, boastful rhymes are the perfect fit for the leisurely gospel loop, which has been seasoned with snippets from classic Kanye interviews. After a listen to this ingenious jam, I have just one question: when do we get to hear Rugz rhyme over the New Slaves outro? Hey, I can dream. On Point is part of Bewler’s forthcoming, DJBooth-hosted Bene LP, set to drop October 23 for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 10/4/13
Harlem buzzmaker Rugz D. Bewler has come together with The DJBooth to bring listeners his latest mixtape, Bené (Beautiful Extraterrestrial N**ga Eating). The project comprises 12 tracks' worth of original material and...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.