Halfway through Yeezus opener On Sight, Kanye, Daft Punk and Mike Dean‘s abrasive electronic beat abruptly gives way to a brief interpolation of Sermon (He’ll Give Us What We Really Need), as performed by the Holy Name of Mary Choral Family. Rugz D. Bewler was feeling those four bars so much that he’s turned them into a full record. Mixtape single On Point could hardly have been more appropriately titled; the Harlemite’s laid-back, boastful rhymes are the perfect fit for the leisurely gospel loop, which has been seasoned with snippets from classic Kanye interviews. After a listen to this ingenious jam, I have just one question: when do we get to hear Rugz rhyme over the New Slaves outro? Hey, I can dream. On Point is part of Bewler’s forthcoming, DJBooth-hosted Bene LP, set to drop October 23 for free streaming and download.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Right Fist" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.