Normally, moving from one feature to the next is no problem—after all, there’s so much quality music to hear and yet so little time—but Booth newcomer Rufus has a Hold on Me with this one. I can’t…stop…listening…on…repeat… Rufus’s smooth sound might be rooted in R&B but, thanks to his grainy, lightly distorted delivery, hip-hop fans will appreciate his edgy undertones. Of course, they will also appreciate guest artist SonReal’s cutting flow, which he showcases in a “grass is greener”-themed guest verse on the back end. And don’t get me started on the layered instrumental from producers Attila Toth and Chris Rouse, which has a bluesy, all-the-way-live feel. Now you can see (errr, listen) why Rufus has a Hold on Me, and why I’ll be grabbing his new album, Growing Pains, as soon as it drops this October.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.