Normally, moving from one feature to the next is no problem—after all, there’s so much quality music to hear and yet so little time—but Booth newcomer Rufus has a Hold on Me with this one. I can’t…stop…listening…on…repeat… Rufus’s smooth sound might be rooted in R&B but, thanks to his grainy, lightly distorted delivery, hip-hop fans will appreciate his edgy undertones. Of course, they will also appreciate guest artist SonReal’s cutting flow, which he showcases in a “grass is greener”-themed guest verse on the back end. And don’t get me started on the layered instrumental from producers Attila Toth and Chris Rouse, which has a bluesy, all-the-way-live feel. Now you can see (errr, listen) why Rufus has a Hold on Me, and why I’ll be grabbing his new album, Growing Pains, as soon as it drops this October.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.