Released back in October ‘09, Royce Da 5’9”‘s long-delayed Street Hop LP received high praise from reviewers in the Booth and beyond, but didn’t seem to get the large-scale attention (and sales) it deserved. To rectify that situation, the Motown mainstay’s re-released the project, with the addition of a few choice cuts – including My Own Planet, a standout track which finds Royce momentarily shaking off the inner-city grit for a trip to infinity and beyond. Flowing over Mr. Porter‘s space-age synths and snap-clap percussion, Nickel Nine delivers bars laced with trash talk and laid-back wit. G.O.O.D. Music rhymesayer Big Sean arguably steals the show, asking fans to “...hold your girl close and scream ‘B-I-G’ like you recognize a ghost.” as he delivers his braggadocio-drenched closing verse. So, readers, does My Own Planet have the universal appeal necessary to get Royce’s latest set flying off the (digital) shelves? If you think it’s positively stellar, you can hear plenty more on Street Hop (Deluxe Ed.), available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/25/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.