Released back in October ‘09, Royce Da 5’9”‘s long-delayed Street Hop LP received high praise from reviewers in the Booth and beyond, but didn’t seem to get the large-scale attention (and sales) it deserved. To rectify that situation, the Motown mainstay’s re-released the project, with the addition of a few choice cuts – including My Own Planet, a standout track which finds Royce momentarily shaking off the inner-city grit for a trip to infinity and beyond. Flowing over Mr. Porter‘s space-age synths and snap-clap percussion, Nickel Nine delivers bars laced with trash talk and laid-back wit. G.O.O.D. Music rhymesayer Big Sean arguably steals the show, asking fans to “...hold your girl close and scream ‘B-I-G’ like you recognize a ghost.” as he delivers his braggadocio-drenched closing verse. So, readers, does My Own Planet have the universal appeal necessary to get Royce’s latest set flying off the (digital) shelves? If you think it’s positively stellar, you can hear plenty more on Street Hop (Deluxe Ed.), available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/25/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.