Released back in October ‘09, Royce Da 5’9”‘s long-delayed Street Hop LP received high praise from reviewers in the Booth and beyond, but didn’t seem to get the large-scale attention (and sales) it deserved. To rectify that situation, the Motown mainstay’s re-released the project, with the addition of a few choice cuts – including My Own Planet, a standout track which finds Royce momentarily shaking off the inner-city grit for a trip to infinity and beyond. Flowing over Mr. Porter‘s space-age synths and snap-clap percussion, Nickel Nine delivers bars laced with trash talk and laid-back wit. G.O.O.D. Music rhymesayer Big Sean arguably steals the show, asking fans to “...hold your girl close and scream ‘B-I-G’ like you recognize a ghost.” as he delivers his braggadocio-drenched closing verse. So, readers, does My Own Planet have the universal appeal necessary to get Royce’s latest set flying off the (digital) shelves? If you think it’s positively stellar, you can hear plenty more on Street Hop (Deluxe Ed.), available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/25/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.