Does Royce Da 5’9” qualify as a Legendary emcee? If you’re a devotee of the Detroit scene, or simply a connoisseur of aggressive street lyricism, the answer is likely “Damn straight.” Those still on the fence, however, may find the Slaughterhouse member’s latest album leak to be just the thing to persuade them—this record just sounds legendary. Travis Barker and Eminem collaborate behind the boards, crafting a glam-metal-infused instrumental that’d overwhelm a lesser emcee—but Royce owns the track, bombarding the beat with rewind-worthy quips (“You backwards as me and a feminist datin’”) unlikely pop-culture references (“Throw a n*gga body around the room, have a n*gga lookin’ like Jamiroquai”), and the occasional pearl of philosophical wisdom (“I’m a firm believer that the naked truth looks a hundred times better than the best-dressed lie”). With this kind of ammunition in his arsenal, I’m actually willing to believe Royce when he claims that Success Is Certain; if you agree with my assessment, more flames await on the emcee’s fifth studio album, coming August 9.
Written by richard on 07/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.