Does Royce Da 5’9” qualify as a Legendary emcee? If you’re a devotee of the Detroit scene, or simply a connoisseur of aggressive street lyricism, the answer is likely “Damn straight.” Those still on the fence, however, may find the Slaughterhouse member’s latest album leak to be just the thing to persuade them—this record just sounds legendary. Travis Barker and Eminem collaborate behind the boards, crafting a glam-metal-infused instrumental that’d overwhelm a lesser emcee—but Royce owns the track, bombarding the beat with rewind-worthy quips (“You backwards as me and a feminist datin’”) unlikely pop-culture references (“Throw a n*gga body around the room, have a n*gga lookin’ like Jamiroquai”), and the occasional pearl of philosophical wisdom (“I’m a firm believer that the naked truth looks a hundred times better than the best-dressed lie”). With this kind of ammunition in his arsenal, I’m actually willing to believe Royce when he claims that Success Is Certain; if you agree with my assessment, more flames await on the emcee’s fifth studio album, coming August 9.
Written by richard on 07/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.