Does Royce Da 5’9” qualify as a Legendary emcee? If you’re a devotee of the Detroit scene, or simply a connoisseur of aggressive street lyricism, the answer is likely “Damn straight.” Those still on the fence, however, may find the Slaughterhouse member’s latest album leak to be just the thing to persuade them—this record just sounds legendary. Travis Barker and Eminem collaborate behind the boards, crafting a glam-metal-infused instrumental that’d overwhelm a lesser emcee—but Royce owns the track, bombarding the beat with rewind-worthy quips (“You backwards as me and a feminist datin’”) unlikely pop-culture references (“Throw a n*gga body around the room, have a n*gga lookin’ like Jamiroquai”), and the occasional pearl of philosophical wisdom (“I’m a firm believer that the naked truth looks a hundred times better than the best-dressed lie”). With this kind of ammunition in his arsenal, I’m actually willing to believe Royce when he claims that Success Is Certain; if you agree with my assessment, more flames await on the emcee’s fifth studio album, coming August 9.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.