Though his ‘09’s Street Hop LP earned considerable critical acclaim, Royce Da 5’9‘s recent buzz has centered around his collaborative work—first with street supergroup Slaughterhouse, and most recently with Eminem as Bad Meets Evil (whose self-titled EP drops June 14). Later this month, the Motown vet is set to parlay that renown into a raised profile on the solo tip with the release of his fifth studio album. On this new street single, Royce once again asserts his supremacy over his peers, musing that the only way he’ll see Second Place is if he runs, “a marathon backwards.” Needless to say, Royce backs up his claim with a serious demonstration of mic skills; over the legendary DJ Premier‘s tension-fraught boom-bap beat (complete with samples from KRS-One‘s The Victory, LL Cool J‘s 10 Million Stars and more), he drops bars packed from top to bottom with antisocial behavior (“I”m going yellin’ ‘Shady’ everywhere / Smackin’ n*gga’s b*tches with they lipstick and they baby with they teddy bear.”) and allusive punchlines. Think Royce is justified in titling his latest album Success Is Certain? We won’t know for sure till the project hits stores July 26, but readers are welcome to speculate…
Listen to More: Royce Da 5'9"
Written by richard on 06/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Music Industry (Remix) ft. Various" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)