The ‘80s have definitely made a comeback in urban music, and not just in the ways you might expect—though plenty of artists on the purist/hipster end of the spectrum are looking to hip-hop’s Golden Age greats, there’s also been a movement towards the decade’s more elaborately-coiffed New Wave sounds (see: Flo Rida‘s Right Round, Slim Thug‘s I Run...). With new single Never Fallin’, Los Angeles emcee Roscoe Umali becomes the latest rapper to spin a synthpop classic into a rap anthem, this time setting his sights on New Order’s Bizarre Love Triangle. Beatsmith Fingazz’ uptempo take on the ‘86 single sets the stage for Umali’s high-rolling, hater-blocking rhymes, as well an equally swagger-drenched contribution from One Block Radius’ Marty James. Complete with a catchy, club-ready chorus by R&B hookman 1st Place, Never Fallin’ is sure to have retro-minded listeners humming along, as well as stirring up early buzz for the 2010 release of Umali’s The World’s Finest LP.
Artisan of War Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live It Up ft. Bobby V & E-40" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.