The ‘80s have definitely made a comeback in urban music, and not just in the ways you might expect—though plenty of artists on the purist/hipster end of the spectrum are looking to hip-hop’s Golden Age greats, there’s also been a movement towards the decade’s more elaborately-coiffed New Wave sounds (see: Flo Rida‘s Right Round, Slim Thug‘s I Run...). With new single Never Fallin’, Los Angeles emcee Roscoe Umali becomes the latest rapper to spin a synthpop classic into a rap anthem, this time setting his sights on New Order’s Bizarre Love Triangle. Beatsmith Fingazz’ uptempo take on the ‘86 single sets the stage for Umali’s high-rolling, hater-blocking rhymes, as well an equally swagger-drenched contribution from One Block Radius’ Marty James. Complete with a catchy, club-ready chorus by R&B hookman 1st Place, Never Fallin’ is sure to have retro-minded listeners humming along, as well as stirring up early buzz for the 2010 release of Umali’s The World’s Finest LP.
Written by richard on 06/24/09
Submit your Rating
Artisan of War Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live It Up ft. Bobby V & E-40" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.