Just this past February, I got a text message that was apparently sent out exclusively to Black recipients that read: “It’s Black History Month – recognize your roots and get a relaxer,” (if you don’t understand that joke, I’ll have Chris Rock explain it to you). But it got me thinking…how can I recognize my roots? If buying a Roots album had occurred to me four months ago instead of this morning, maybe hearing the latest leak, Doin’ It Again, would have left me with some dope new music instead of ashamed that my hair is
straight. However, Doin’ It Again (which fittingly brings on John Legend for a rendition of his track Again) is an enjoyable listen, and perhaps would have been more effective as a freestyle considering its brevity, sharp trademark-Roots instrumentals, and abrupt ending. But I’m not complaining, and with rhymes as on-point as Blackthought’s, who can? So with that, I’m going to send this text: “It’s June, a.k.a. Good Music Month – recognize your Roots and pick up their upcoming album How I Got Over, dropping June 22.”
Written by Matty K on 06/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.