Houston has long been known as a hotbed for rap music in both the commercial and underground industries. Roosh Williams, a newcomer to DJBooth, brings with him the Houston style The Geto Boys and Scarface made popular - rather than the often more superficial styling’s of Lil Flip, Paul Wall, etc. - on the Sindustry-produced record Wake Up Dead. Over a beat built around a thick atmosphere, created out of eerie blues based slide guitar, Williams delivers reality based lyrics that clearly illustrate the theme of his album, Common Struggles of a Modern Man. Adding depth to the track is singer Chanel, who brings another sublime dimension to the song with her delivery of the bridge, hook, and the occasional adlib. Overall, Wake Up Dead shows polish and is constructed in a pop format (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/etc.), which should bode well for the song, even though the subject matter is of a more serious nature. For more genre-bending hip-hop be sure to check out Roosh’ Common Struggles album, available for free download now.
Written by JC Poppe on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Another Night" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.