Houston has long been known as a hotbed for rap music in both the commercial and underground industries. Roosh Williams, a newcomer to DJBooth, brings with him the Houston style The Geto Boys and Scarface made popular - rather than the often more superficial styling’s of Lil Flip, Paul Wall, etc. - on the Sindustry-produced record Wake Up Dead. Over a beat built around a thick atmosphere, created out of eerie blues based slide guitar, Williams delivers reality based lyrics that clearly illustrate the theme of his album, Common Struggles of a Modern Man. Adding depth to the track is singer Chanel, who brings another sublime dimension to the song with her delivery of the bridge, hook, and the occasional adlib. Overall, Wake Up Dead shows polish and is constructed in a pop format (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/etc.), which should bode well for the song, even though the subject matter is of a more serious nature. For more genre-bending hip-hop be sure to check out Roosh’ Common Struggles album, available for free download now.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Another Night" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.