Houston has long been known as a hotbed for rap music in both the commercial and underground industries. Roosh Williams, a newcomer to DJBooth, brings with him the Houston style The Geto Boys and Scarface made popular - rather than the often more superficial styling’s of Lil Flip, Paul Wall, etc. - on the Sindustry-produced record Wake Up Dead. Over a beat built around a thick atmosphere, created out of eerie blues based slide guitar, Williams delivers reality based lyrics that clearly illustrate the theme of his album, Common Struggles of a Modern Man. Adding depth to the track is singer Chanel, who brings another sublime dimension to the song with her delivery of the bridge, hook, and the occasional adlib. Overall, Wake Up Dead shows polish and is constructed in a pop format (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/etc.), which should bode well for the song, even though the subject matter is of a more serious nature. For more genre-bending hip-hop be sure to check out Roosh’ Common Struggles album, available for free download now.
Written by JC Poppe on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Another Night" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.