Houston has long been known as a hotbed for rap music in both the commercial and underground industries. Roosh Williams, a newcomer to DJBooth, brings with him the Houston style The Geto Boys and Scarface made popular - rather than the often more superficial styling’s of Lil Flip, Paul Wall, etc. - on the Sindustry-produced record Wake Up Dead. Over a beat built around a thick atmosphere, created out of eerie blues based slide guitar, Williams delivers reality based lyrics that clearly illustrate the theme of his album, Common Struggles of a Modern Man. Adding depth to the track is singer Chanel, who brings another sublime dimension to the song with her delivery of the bridge, hook, and the occasional adlib. Overall, Wake Up Dead shows polish and is constructed in a pop format (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/etc.), which should bode well for the song, even though the subject matter is of a more serious nature. For more genre-bending hip-hop be sure to check out Roosh’ Common Struggles album, available for free download now.
Written by JC Poppe on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Another Night" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.