As the cliché goes, birds of a feather flock together. So it should be no surprise to see Rome Clientel flanked by two upper-echelon East Coast lyricists on his latest single, the aptly-titled Champions. DJ Concept sets a fittingly victorious mood on the production tip, layering brass fanfare over boom-bap percussion as Rome, Realm Reality and Skyzoo showcase the mic skills that set them apart from the pack. On the hook, Concept jumps behind the wheels of steels to scratch on samples of Jay Z, D.I.T.C. and more. Though everyone involved is a winner, the question remains: which of these elite emcees spit the standout 16? Whoever you select as the Grand Champion of this cut, you can look forward to more hot beats and high-caliber bars on Rome’s next street album, The Empire 3: Coronation. The finale to a mixtape trilogy launched in 2012, the project is scheduled to drop digitally October 14.
Written by richard on 09/25/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.