Bandied about on the regular ever since Nas released his provocatively-titled album in ‘06, the “Hip-Hop is Dead” memo now seems destined stick around as long as the music itself. And thank God for that – without the question of the genre’s mortality hanging in the air, up-and-comers like R.O.E. wouldn’t be motivated to swoop in and Revive it. The Chi-town repper’s first feature since his late-‘09 Booth debut, this EP standout finds J. Slikk cooking up a retro yet progressive chopped-soul-sample beat (drawn from Barbara Mason’s Girls Have Feelings Too) as the emcee gives his all on the mic. Exhibiting even more confidence and and ingenuity than on his Booth debut, R.O.E. zig-zags his way through complex yet conversational bars: “Feelin’ like Moses when the Red Sea parted / Boom-bap rap, I ain’t tryin’ to get charted / I’m just dishin’ that real to the fake – I’m cold-hearted.” By the end of the record, even the most jaded heads should be fully convinced that true hip-hop lives on in this rising star’s heart. If you’re digging this impassioned banger, you owe it to yourself to check out the emcee’s A Backpacker Named R.O.E EP, released to the net March 11.
Written by richard on 03/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.