Bandied about on the regular ever since Nas released his provocatively-titled album in ‘06, the “Hip-Hop is Dead” memo now seems destined stick around as long as the music itself. And thank God for that – without the question of the genre’s mortality hanging in the air, up-and-comers like R.O.E. wouldn’t be motivated to swoop in and Revive it. The Chi-town repper’s first feature since his late-‘09 Booth debut, this EP standout finds J. Slikk cooking up a retro yet progressive chopped-soul-sample beat (drawn from Barbara Mason’s Girls Have Feelings Too) as the emcee gives his all on the mic. Exhibiting even more confidence and and ingenuity than on his Booth debut, R.O.E. zig-zags his way through complex yet conversational bars: “Feelin’ like Moses when the Red Sea parted / Boom-bap rap, I ain’t tryin’ to get charted / I’m just dishin’ that real to the fake – I’m cold-hearted.” By the end of the record, even the most jaded heads should be fully convinced that true hip-hop lives on in this rising star’s heart. If you’re digging this impassioned banger, you owe it to yourself to check out the emcee’s A Backpacker Named R.O.E EP, released to the net March 11.
Written by richard on 03/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.