When Rockwell Powers claimed to have “Too many questions, and not enough answers” on Booth debut I Wonder, I thought that was just a clever lead-in to one record’s worth of philosophical reflections. As it turns out, though, the Seattle native could have filled a whole ‘nother joint with the queries that didn’t make it onto his first feature – so, he’s done exactly that. Powers’ latest single finds the up-and-comer once again indulging his curiosity about Life, the universe and everything, lacing Ill Pill‘s dreamy chopped-soul-sample boardwork with such inquiries as “What’s cool?,” “Whom should I trust?”, “What does it mean to be free?” and “What’s truth?”. Guest duties fall to 22-year-old up-and-comer Sol, who grabs the mic on the back for a more declarative, but equally thoughtful closing 16. So, readers, are you feeling Rockwell Powers’ inquisitive style the second time around? If so, more awaits on his and Ill Pill’s Kids in the Back 2, which will arrive on the ‘net April 16 – or will it? After all, what is time anyway? And this music stuff.. what’s the deal with that? What’s the sound of one hand clapping? Am I going to stop asking questions anytime soon? Is anyone still reading this?
Written by richard on 03/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wonder" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)