When Rockwell Powers claimed to have “Too many questions, and not enough answers” on Booth debut I Wonder, I thought that was just a clever lead-in to one record’s worth of philosophical reflections. As it turns out, though, the Seattle native could have filled a whole ‘nother joint with the queries that didn’t make it onto his first feature – so, he’s done exactly that. Powers’ latest single finds the up-and-comer once again indulging his curiosity about Life, the universe and everything, lacing Ill Pill‘s dreamy chopped-soul-sample boardwork with such inquiries as “What’s cool?,” “Whom should I trust?”, “What does it mean to be free?” and “What’s truth?”. Guest duties fall to 22-year-old up-and-comer Sol, who grabs the mic on the back for a more declarative, but equally thoughtful closing 16. So, readers, are you feeling Rockwell Powers’ inquisitive style the second time around? If so, more awaits on his and Ill Pill’s Kids in the Back 2, which will arrive on the ‘net April 16 – or will it? After all, what is time anyway? And this music stuff.. what’s the deal with that? What’s the sound of one hand clapping? Am I going to stop asking questions anytime soon? Is anyone still reading this?
Written by richard on 03/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wonder" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.