Last we heard from Rockwell Powers and DJ Phinisey, on a reader-approved single off the latter’s self-titled LP, they were “sittin’ on Top of the World,” reveling in the success they’d achieved in the game. Fast-forward four months and change, and they’ve left terra firma behind altogether. On Gone, the lead single off the Pacific Northwesterners’ next joint project, Powers reflects on how much his life’s improved since he detached himself from others’ expectations and started making full use of his free will: “One day you’ll find out you don’t have to prove sh*t / And the weight’ll fall quick, and the pressure won’t stick.” As on the aforementioned cut, Phinisey wears two hats, providing a soaring electronic beat to back his colleague’s bars as well as grabbing the mic to deliver a sung hook and backing vocals. The project to which this record is attached has yet to receive a title or drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 12/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wonder" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.