What’s the Hurry, the inaugural leak off Rockie Fresh‘s forthcoming street album, found the Chi-town native expressing some mild frustration regarding the grind, but don’t let that fool you into thinking he doesn’t love the life he’s Living. On the contrary – as the freestyle series alum explains on the follow-up, he’d be perfectly happy to do this music sh*t forever. Here, a wintery, string-sampled beat by The Cartoonz (Rockie’s collaborators throughout the project) sets a melancholy yet driven mood as Fresh and his collaborators let us know just how dedicated they are to the game. Providing moral support on the guest tip are Kidz in the Hall emcee Naledge and DMV representative Phil Adé, the former offering a few tips on beating stress on the middle verse, and the latter celebrating his successes to date in a cheery closing 16 (“My career is on a roll man, I’m somethin’ on that bike.”) If this understated motivational jam leaves you feeling pumped, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on Rockie Fresh’s Otherside mixtape, scheduled to hit the ‘net on December 16.
Written by richard on 11/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What's the Hurry" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.