You’re not going to slide a Back to the Future reference by an ‘80s baby who spent more time with Doc Brown than his own father growing up. Rockie Fresh may only be barely out of his teens, but the young man’s obviously got the heart of an older head as he hops in the DeLorean for his new title track Driving 88. On the cooly grinding track producer Mansur serves up a minimalistic beat that makes every note count, giving Rockie and guest Casey Veggies instrumental ammunition to fire off. Speaking of which, Rockie and Casey form a Chicago to L.A. alliance on 88, taking turns explaining just why their swag is so futuristic and fresh, pausing only long enough to make a well-timed 1998 NBA Finals reference: “Like Rodman I’m on my hustle / you shook up like Bryon Russell.” If this one has you down to ride with Rockie be sure to grab some plutonium from the Libyans, load up the Mr. Fusion and listen to the future when Driving 88 (the album) arrives on January 23.
Maybach Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What's the Hurry" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!