You’re not going to slide a Back to the Future reference by an ‘80s baby who spent more time with Doc Brown than his own father growing up. Rockie Fresh may only be barely out of his teens, but the young man’s obviously got the heart of an older head as he hops in the DeLorean for his new title track Driving 88. On the cooly grinding track producer Mansur serves up a minimalistic beat that makes every note count, giving Rockie and guest Casey Veggies instrumental ammunition to fire off. Speaking of which, Rockie and Casey form a Chicago to L.A. alliance on 88, taking turns explaining just why their swag is so futuristic and fresh, pausing only long enough to make a well-timed 1998 NBA Finals reference: “Like Rodman I’m on my hustle / you shook up like Bryon Russell.” If this one has you down to ride with Rockie be sure to grab some plutonium from the Libyans, load up the Mr. Fusion and listen to the future when Driving 88 (the album) arrives on January 23.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What's the Hurry" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.