Some artists search tirelessly for a crossover hit that will draw new fans into the mix with their current followers. Rockie Fresh could have one of those hits on his hands with the Mike Daley-produced Breakthrough, featuring Houston veteran Chamillionaire. Breakthrough walks you through Rockie’s reflections as an artist hovering around the cusp of national awareness. Securing a feature from Chamillionaire doesn’t hurt either, as the platinum-selling emcee gives Rockie pointers to consider in his search for success in the music game. The chorus, while effective, could benefit from a club/radio mix, amping it up to true anthemic heights, but regardless, the “little train that could” message is universally understood and appreciated. Breakthrough isn’t set for inclusion on Fresh’s forthcoming, untitled/unscheduled album, but those digging it should stay tuned for further details on the project, whose lead single, No Fear, is scheduled to drop in the weeks ahead.
Written by JC Poppe on 08/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What's the Hurry" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.