The spirit of Neo-Soul never truly died. Singers like D’Angelo, Musiq, Jill Scott, and Angie Stone all benefitted from the brief return to natural and expressive music before R&B dedicated itself to cloning whatever R. Kelly was doing at the time. One artist that is clearly spoken to by the souls of Voodoo is Rocki Evans on his latest single Funeral Song, produced by ShamTrax of The Soundkillers. Here Rocki taps into an off-kilter and quirky croon over a beat that hugs close to its chest the feel the Soulquarians achieved. On the track, Rocki reveals that he is a prideful young man who also understands the need to not let that pride get in the way of a relationship. The song also carries forth the sentiment held throughout William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Julliet, that feeling a love worth sharing with another person is better than living, even if it can’t be reciprocated. No word as to whether this track is attached to an upcoming project or not, so for now you can simply enjoy….
Written by JC Poppe on 10/12/11
Submit your Rating
Free Integrated Media
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.