The spirit of Neo-Soul never truly died. Singers like D’Angelo, Musiq, Jill Scott, and Angie Stone all benefitted from the brief return to natural and expressive music before R&B dedicated itself to cloning whatever R. Kelly was doing at the time. One artist that is clearly spoken to by the souls of Voodoo is Rocki Evans on his latest single Funeral Song, produced by ShamTrax of The Soundkillers. Here Rocki taps into an off-kilter and quirky croon over a beat that hugs close to its chest the feel the Soulquarians achieved. On the track, Rocki reveals that he is a prideful young man who also understands the need to not let that pride get in the way of a relationship. The song also carries forth the sentiment held throughout William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Julliet, that feeling a love worth sharing with another person is better than living, even if it can’t be reciprocated. No word as to whether this track is attached to an upcoming project or not, so for now you can simply enjoy….
Written by JC Poppe on 10/12/11
Free Integrated Media
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.