Virgin Islands duo Rock City have made a name for themselves in the Booth by putting their own spin on other artists’ hits (see their freestyles over M.I.A.‘s Paper Planes, John Legend‘s Green Light, and Jordin Sparks’ No Air). For their latest freestyle, Da Spokesman and Don’t Talk Much have taken inspiration from Jazmine Sullivan‘s Salaam Remi-produced third single, Lions, Tigers & Bears. As usual, the two turn the original song’s concept on its head, in this case amending the chorus to, “I’m not scared of lions and tigers and bears/ ‘cause I’m from the jungle, too.” They make a good point – growing up amidst violent crime and extreme poverty in the ghettos of St. Thomas would likely make the pressures of puppy love seem like a walk in the park. Fans of Rock City should stay tuned to the Booth – sometime in the next two weeks, the duo will release their latest Wake the Neighbors single, the Akon-featuring I’m Leaving.
Written by richard on 02/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Losing It" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.