Rock City’s story reads a little like the plot of a Disney sports movie in which a team of underdogs overcome multiple obstacles before pulling off a big win and ultimately being crowned as champions. Hailing from the Virgin Islands, brothers Da Spokesman and Don’t Talk Much moved to Atlanta to try to make it big, and, after numerous setbacks, they now seem to be on the verge of accomplishing that goal. When I Get On, one of two recent leaks off the latest entry in RC’s Put The F*cking Album Out mixtape series, is all about the relentless grind it takes to make something happen in the unforgiving world of hip-hop. In addition to a sung hook and occasional ad libs, Konlive head honcho Akon contributes a smoldering, string-driven beat that leaves the spotlight on the brothers’ urgent and tenacious flows. If this track grabs your attention, be sure to download a copy of PTFAO: Independence Day when it hits the ‘net July 4th, and stay tuned for release details on their forthcoming oft-delayed debut album, Wake the Neighbors.
Written by Dr. D on 06/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Losing It" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.