This might seem totally gross to those who don’t share my compulsion, but I’ll admit it: whenever I’m served, say, roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn, my first instinct is to combine them into one delicious pile a la KFC’s Famous Bowls—they’re meant to be enjoyed together, so why not enjoy them mixed together? Though it’s up for debate whether hip-hop, R&B, and metal are quite so compatible with one another (and previous attempts at mixing the three may have left a bad taste in listeners’ mouths) Atlanta-based up-and-comer Rocboi, believes that the combo can be done and done well. Judging by the Booth newcomer’s latest single, Cutting Away, he seems to be onto something—angsty, alt-rock-style lyrics crooned soulfully over synth arpeggios and clicking percussion (courtesy of Juggernaut Productions beatsmith IKON) may be strange in concept, but the finished product proves much greater than the sum of its parts. If this single leaves you hungry for more of Rocboi’s “HOOD.METAL.R&B” jams, you can find what you’re craving on his Chief Rocka LP, released in May and available now.
Written by richard on 08/3/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)