Let’s be real. You saw that Robin Thicke had a new track called Shakin It for Daddy featuring Nicki Minaj and you got a little nervous. (Come on, I can’t be the only one). Would this be an almost assuredly disastrous attempt by Thicke at a stripper anthem? Some sort of weird fantasy role play thing between him and Minaj? Unfortunately, it only took twenty seconds before some of my fears were confirmed. While Thicke is known for his candlelight crooning, here he steals a page out of the Usher playbook, softly asking his special lady friends to drop it to the floor while an ass-shaking beat from Polow da Don bumps in the background and Nicki Minaj (a.k.a. the femcee’s greatest hope) is her usual lyrically schizophrenic self on a full two verses. Shakin It for Daddy’s not a bad track in and of itself, but Thicke just doesn’t have the swagger to pull it off. Will his upcoming album Sex Therapy feature even more misguided strip club cuts? We’ll find out on December 8.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/8/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.