Robin Thicke doesn’t usually try to hide what his songs are about (aka his last cut Shakin It for Daddy) and his new song, Meiplé (Me I Play), is no different. From the first line, he makes it clear that this song is about sex, singing “I know you wanna (f**k)…” That line sets the tone for the song, a tone that producers Pro-Jay and Thicke himself emphasize with a bubbly, 80’s-retro sounding beat that finds Thicke singing about the spoils of high class life: San Trope, The Ritz, alcohol, Chanel and the French countryside. The singer is cool and confident, taking control of the beat throughout the track, a sensual vocal style that’s perfectly contrasted by a verse from guest artist Jay-Z, who sounds totally comfortable (as we’ve come to hear) rapping about high society, Monte Carlo and having enough money to buy anything. And of course, no Hova verse is complete without a Beyoncé name drop. Meiplé is a potential new single off Sex Therapy, which is scheduled to hit stores on December 15.
Written by matt juss on 11/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.