Robin Thicke doesn’t usually try to hide what his songs are about (aka his last cut Shakin It for Daddy) and his new song, Meiplé (Me I Play), is no different. From the first line, he makes it clear that this song is about sex, singing “I know you wanna (f**k)…” That line sets the tone for the song, a tone that producers Pro-Jay and Thicke himself emphasize with a bubbly, 80’s-retro sounding beat that finds Thicke singing about the spoils of high class life: San Trope, The Ritz, alcohol, Chanel and the French countryside. The singer is cool and confident, taking control of the beat throughout the track, a sensual vocal style that’s perfectly contrasted by a verse from guest artist Jay-Z, who sounds totally comfortable (as we’ve come to hear) rapping about high society, Monte Carlo and having enough money to buy anything. And of course, no Hova verse is complete without a Beyoncé name drop. Meiplé is a potential new single off Sex Therapy, which is scheduled to hit stores on December 15.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.