Robin Thicke doesn’t usually try to hide what his songs are about (aka his last cut Shakin It for Daddy) and his new song, Meiplé (Me I Play), is no different. From the first line, he makes it clear that this song is about sex, singing “I know you wanna (f**k)…” That line sets the tone for the song, a tone that producers Pro-Jay and Thicke himself emphasize with a bubbly, 80’s-retro sounding beat that finds Thicke singing about the spoils of high class life: San Trope, The Ritz, alcohol, Chanel and the French countryside. The singer is cool and confident, taking control of the beat throughout the track, a sensual vocal style that’s perfectly contrasted by a verse from guest artist Jay-Z, who sounds totally comfortable (as we’ve come to hear) rapping about high society, Monte Carlo and having enough money to buy anything. And of course, no Hova verse is complete without a Beyoncé name drop. Meiplé is a potential new single off Sex Therapy, which is scheduled to hit stores on December 15.
Written by matt juss on 11/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.