Now that The-Dream’s last album is slowly fading into the rearview there’s a real absence of falsetto R&B in my life. Wait, what’s that? Robin Thicke’s got a new single out? Phew, problem solved. The first we’ve heard from Thicke since 09’s It’s In the Morning, new title track Love After War is geared towards making longtime Robin loyalists happy, swimming in the same jazzy/R&B waters he navigates so well. The headliner himself runs production duties (with Pro-J), laying down a shaking, live instrument driven beat that immediately put me in a Sade frame of mind. Vocally Thicke hasn’t lost a note, delivering softly crooned and (slightly) more up-tempo verses that put a fresh spin on the break-up to make-up relationship cycle: “You know I can make it right / don’t you love it when we fight?” I feel obligated to point out that you can always just have sex and not fight, but hey, who am I to argue with the man? If your iPod’s still feeling a little light on the falsetto after this single you should be able to find all the smoothness your heart desires when Love After War the album hits eardrums worldwide on November 15.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.