Now that The-Dream’s last album is slowly fading into the rearview there’s a real absence of falsetto R&B in my life. Wait, what’s that? Robin Thicke’s got a new single out? Phew, problem solved. The first we’ve heard from Thicke since 09’s It’s In the Morning, new title track Love After War is geared towards making longtime Robin loyalists happy, swimming in the same jazzy/R&B waters he navigates so well. The headliner himself runs production duties (with Pro-J), laying down a shaking, live instrument driven beat that immediately put me in a Sade frame of mind. Vocally Thicke hasn’t lost a note, delivering softly crooned and (slightly) more up-tempo verses that put a fresh spin on the break-up to make-up relationship cycle: “You know I can make it right / don’t you love it when we fight?” I feel obligated to point out that you can always just have sex and not fight, but hey, who am I to argue with the man? If your iPod’s still feeling a little light on the falsetto after this single you should be able to find all the smoothness your heart desires when Love After War the album hits eardrums worldwide on November 15.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/12/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.