Now that The-Dream’s last album is slowly fading into the rearview there’s a real absence of falsetto R&B in my life. Wait, what’s that? Robin Thicke’s got a new single out? Phew, problem solved. The first we’ve heard from Thicke since 09’s It’s In the Morning, new title track Love After War is geared towards making longtime Robin loyalists happy, swimming in the same jazzy/R&B waters he navigates so well. The headliner himself runs production duties (with Pro-J), laying down a shaking, live instrument driven beat that immediately put me in a Sade frame of mind. Vocally Thicke hasn’t lost a note, delivering softly crooned and (slightly) more up-tempo verses that put a fresh spin on the break-up to make-up relationship cycle: “You know I can make it right / don’t you love it when we fight?” I feel obligated to point out that you can always just have sex and not fight, but hey, who am I to argue with the man? If your iPod’s still feeling a little light on the falsetto after this single you should be able to find all the smoothness your heart desires when Love After War the album hits eardrums worldwide on November 15.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.