With global population growth ever outpacing the rate at which souls return to their maker, a modern individual would be lucky to have a single winged benefactor watching his or her back. Robin Thicke, however, leads a charmed life—as the soul singer boasts on his latest feature, he’s got An Angel on Each Arm. A standout cut off the artist’s fifth studio album, Angel finds Thicke coming together with production partner Pro-J to craft a funky, brass-fortified backdrop as he pays tribute to the divine representatives who ensure he doesn’t become a casualty in the endless war that is love. And I do mean war—the Star Trak/Interscope singer laces his full-throated verses with imagery straight out of Call of Duty: Black Ops: “They in the bushes, look in the trees / they got their red laser sniper rifles stuck on me.” Considering what Thicke seems to be up against, it’s a damn good thing he’s got a couple members of the heavenly host on his side. That kind of protection doesn’t come cheap though; if you haven’t already, you can contribute to Robin Thicke’s fighting fund by copping Love After War, available in stores and online as of December 2011.
Written by richard on 01/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.