With global population growth ever outpacing the rate at which souls return to their maker, a modern individual would be lucky to have a single winged benefactor watching his or her back. Robin Thicke, however, leads a charmed life—as the soul singer boasts on his latest feature, he’s got An Angel on Each Arm. A standout cut off the artist’s fifth studio album, Angel finds Thicke coming together with production partner Pro-J to craft a funky, brass-fortified backdrop as he pays tribute to the divine representatives who ensure he doesn’t become a casualty in the endless war that is love. And I do mean war—the Star Trak/Interscope singer laces his full-throated verses with imagery straight out of Call of Duty: Black Ops: “They in the bushes, look in the trees / they got their red laser sniper rifles stuck on me.” Considering what Thicke seems to be up against, it’s a damn good thing he’s got a couple members of the heavenly host on his side. That kind of protection doesn’t come cheap though; if you haven’t already, you can contribute to Robin Thicke’s fighting fund by copping Love After War, available in stores and online as of December 2011.
Written by richard on 01/17/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Without You (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)